Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Show Notes: Flosstube #56

Hey y'all!! Thanks for participating in this blog experiment thing! Here's a breakdown of the things I talked about in my video:

Best New Thing: Flosstubers becoming Designers! (click on the pictures to go to the listing)

Gerald has some AMAZING designs, including his Crown & Cross: 



And my favourite, his newest, Windmill:

FFOs--none

Finishes
And here is mine, all finished:


This was SO much fun to stitch!!! Angel Adams, Girl with a Needle, is going to help me finish it like a Huswife. We'll record that and share the hijinks. 

WIPs (Works in Progress)
  • First up is Here Lie My Needles from Shakespeare's Peddler: 
Here's what it looked like last time:

And here is what it looked like in today's video:

I'm stitching with two of the called for flosses and everything else is a conversion to what I had in stash. For details on the conversion, see my Stitch With Me #20 Show Notes post.

  • Sweet as Hone by Durene Jones from Cross Stitcher, September 2017: 


I'm using most of the called for colors with a substitution here and there for ones I couldn't find and it's on a piece of 14 count printed Aida: 


Purchases:
  • Colour & Cotton Monthly floss club: 
  • X-Stitch Magazine issue 3, Space: 
  • Fibergeek Creations needleminders
  • Barbara Ana Designs Frida from Creative Poppy:
  • Jeannette Douglas Pattern Pretties #6:
  • Jeannette Douglas My Stitching Treasures: 
  • Jeannette Douglas My Storybook:
  • Jeannette Douglas Spring: 
  • Betsy Shed Sampler, DAR Museum book 10:
  • Brenda Gervais, Stars & Stripes: 
  • The City Stitcher, The Weeping Tree Sampler: 
  • Kathy Barrick, Black Heart: 
  • The Charlotte Clayton Sampler: 
  • Samplers by Rebecca Scott: 
  • Ohio is My Dwelling Place book: 
  • Cross Stitch Florals by Marie Barber: 
Thrift Store Finds: 

  • Oval "Shaker" (not a real shaker) box
  • really great old metal tray
  • Framed, finished piece of this Leisure Arts chart:













Flosstube Shoutouts: 
Books: 

  • The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel: 
I gave this book a 2/5 stars. It's in three parts, but part one was TERRIBLE, part two was okay, and part three was decent but not good enough to save the book. By all means, give it a go, it may be your Iberian rhinocerous. But it wasn't mine.
  • The Mr. XStitch Guide to Cross Stitch by Jamie Chalmers: 
I cannot recommend this book highly enough, and not just because I'm friends with Jamie. There truly is something in here for everyone. If you know how to cross stitch, then pick this up to learn about glow in the dark thread or blackwork or artists pushing the boundaries of stitching. If you know someone who doesn't stitch, pick this up for them so they will think cross stitch is COOL. Because it IS!


Outside Links:
L&T DESTASH Facebook group
Gulf Coast Stitches
@jeweledantler Instagram
A Stitchers' Book Club on Goodreads

Flosstubers Mentioned

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Flosstube notes. I need to look into Frieda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate all the time you put into including so many images on your blog

    ReplyDelete